My name is JoAnna and I am awkward…
I was super excited to learn that today is National Awkward Moments Day. I have no idea how or when it started, but I do the quirkiest things and actually have learned to embrace my awkwardness. For years I felt bad for being awkward. I didn’t know how to deal with it and it was worst when others pointed it out.
How do I know I’m awkward?
- Being social can sometimes be draining
- I can’t flirt to save my life
- I’m super clumsy when I’m nervous (it’s MUCH worst when I like you)
- Funny faces in pictures are common
- I make up weird words
- Hugging people sometimes is just…no
- I overthink EVERYTHING
- Some of my best friends are awkward too…they GET me!
How do I deal with being awkward?
- Realize I’m not alone – everyone experiences awkwardness one way or another
- Practice conversations in the mirror
- Hang out with people that aren’t so awkward
- Be adventurous and do more things out of my comfort zone.
- Stop caring about what others think and just be me
I’m not always the best with words either. There are tons of situations where I have no clue what to do or say and feel weird about the response. I’ve learned that sometimes words aren’t needed; presence and actions mean much more. Being “socially known” doesn’t mean you don’t have awkward moments either. NOBODY is perfect. My friend Renee says being this way works for me. I guess…
Do you consider yourself awkward? If so, how do you deal with it?